When a storm strikes, rest assured, Vero is here
At Vero, we understand how devastating severe storms can be.
When you need to prepare for a severe storm, Vero is here
Storms are usually generated by three main elements: moist air, an unstable atmosphere, and weather events like a front, trough or area of low pressure.
Resulting in a combination of fierce winds, heavy rain, wild lightning, ferocious thunder and sometimes hail, severe storms can cause devastating damage.
That’s why it’s vital you keep prepared to help ensure the safety of you, your family and your employees.
Here are some practical tips to help you reduce your risk for the storm season ahead. And remember if you need any assistance – Vero is here.
- If you haven’t already, prepare an emergency kit and keep it handy (this can include things like first aid supplies, torch, battery operated radio, important documents and medicines
- Subscribe to local alerts and warning systems to allow you to stay up-to-date with expert information and advice
- Regularly clear gutters and rubbish around your property
- Identify where and how to turn off the mains supply for water, power and gas
- Regularly check the condition of your property’s roof and arrange the repair of any loose tiles, eaves or roof screws
- Ensure your vehicle is in good working order
- Review your contents insurance regularly to ensure new purchases are covered and your sum insured is adequate.
At the onset of a severe storm
Please only take action if it’s safe to do so. If you need any further guidance, please contact us. For emergencies, please call 000.
- Use to local alerts and warning systems to stay up to date with expert information and advice
- If a warning is issued for your area, ensure your mobile battery is full and you have a full tank of fuel
- Remember the 30/30 lightning safety rule: go indoors if you hear thunder 30 seconds or less after seeing lightning – this means the lightening is close. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder
- If safe to do so, move your vehicle undercover and secure any outdoor furniture and other loose items
- Gather everyone safely indoors, including any pets
- Close outside doors, window blinds, shades and curtains
- Once inside, stay away from doors, windows and exterior walls
- Turn off all electricity, gas and water, and unplug all appliances and computers
Useful links and contacts
If you haven't already, prepare an emergency kit and keep it handy (this can include things like first aid supplies, torch, battery operated radio, important documents and medicines).
This guide will help you plan and prepare in the event of a bushfire.
During a severe storm
- Listen to your battery operated radio for updates and remain indoors until you’ve been told by emergency services to leave
- If an official evacuation order is issued then you must leave immediately and seek shelter at an evacuation centre designated by authorities.
Please do not return to your property or vehicle until emergency services have confirmed you can.
If you’ve been affected by a severe storm, Vero is here
Important: please do not return to your property or vehicle until emergency services have confirmed you can.
We understand this is a stressful time for you, your family and your business, so we’ll do everything we can to make it easier for you.
We’ve listed important information below on how to lodge a claim, precautions you should take, and tips to help with a smooth claim process.
Precautions to take after a storm
Importantly, the safety of you, your loved ones and employees comes first. Please contact us if you need any further guidance. For emergencies, please call 000.
- Use local alerts and warning systems to get expert information and advice
- Turn off all electrical items at the main switches and unplug
- Do not walk through flowing water
- Look for hazards such as broken/leaking gas lines, damaged sewage systems, flooded electrical circuits, submerged appliances and structural damage. Please alert a professional to inspect any hazard.
Tips to lodge and progress your claim
- Tell us if there’s an immediate danger such as emergency requirements, possible roof collapse, unable to return to the property for a period of time
- If your property or vehicle is not completely damaged, take precautions where possible to secure them
- If your vehicle is damaged, have its approximate location ready to tell our operator
- Where possible take photographs of any damage
- Do not dispose of any damaged parts of your property, contents or vehicle until we have agreed
- Do not wash, clean or remove debris from any damaged area without our consent – unless you need to do this to prevent further damage or for sanitation
- Do not carry out or authorise any repairs without our consent – unless you need to for emergency or safety reasons.
How to make a claim
Call the Claims Service Team on 1300 888 073. We’re here for you at any time, any day of the week.
When you call to make a claim, please have ready:
- Your policy number
- Name and contact details on the policy
- Your ABN if you’re registered for GST
- Details of the damage
Emergency information and contact
Remember that Vero is here for you – before, during and after a severe storm. If you need assistance or any further guidance, please contact us.